Thursday, October 6, 2011

Vango or just Go!

Wannakum! Vango!

I’m starting with Tamil because of two reasons; I’ve started writing this blog while I’m sitting at the Chennai Airport in the last leg of a whirlwind trip from Delhi to Hyderabad, Chennai and back all in the space of 3 days. The second reason will be obvious during the course of the blog.

The last few days of traveling meant an interface with two Hotels, two Airlines, two Taxi services and a few restaurants. Apart from that, the prospect of playing a key role in an upcoming department store in Hyderabad in a crazily populated area called Dilsukhnagar or DSN for short had me visiting a few neighborhood malls. Typically what sets me thinking! A heady concoction of sights, smells, ideas, opportunities and people…………. and not necessarily in that order!

Vango means Welcome in Tamil and despite whatever Wannakum sounds to you, it is just a greeting!

It’s an early morning flight and despite my plans of taking it easy and thinking I could get ready at the Marriot in Hyderabad where I’m scheduled to stay, I find myself all through with the daily ablutions, fresh and in time for the flight, at the airport as usual. I guess I’m not much of a risk taker! Nevertheless, I am starving by the time I have gone through in to the security hold area at the Terminal 1D.

On the first floor there is a food court with a few options so I just walk up to the court and figure out what to eat quickly and non-messily for breakfast. I see people happily tucking in KFC chicken at 7.00 AM bright and early. Awesome! I’m thinking it may not be a bad idea to set up a beer bar here. Should do breezy business in the mornings! “Mr. Mallya”, I think, “Are you sniffing this opportunity”?

Meanwhile I sniff something else! The welcome aroma is coming from a food counter called Vango vending Idli, Dosas and Vadas with coconut chutney and piping hot Sāmbhar! Too hard to resist at this time in the morning especially when you’re starving! There is a short queue which seems to take forever and we have two extremely busy staff and a few idlers. Sets me thinking about why don’t these guys help in making sure that the queue is expedited quickly?

After a short deliberation while I’m in the queue, I decide on a ‘plate’ of idli marked at Rs.99 as it would be easy to tender the exact cash. Out of concern for the fellows behind me in the queue, I dig out a 100 Rupee note, clench it in my hand and await my turn patiently. The lady ahead of me is apparently not a concerned citizen like me and is still fishing for the Rs.23 that she should have done a little in advance. I feel why do some people not have concern for others and almost want to point that out to her but somehow resist myself.

Finally, I’m at the top of the queue and order the Idlis and push the Rs. 100 towards the counter executive who demands for Rs.9 more and I want to know why is he charging extra to which the nonchalant mock is, “VAT Sir!”. Embarrassed I quickly conjure a twenty and throw it towards him, ask him to keep the change and mutter something about displaying ‘Final’ prices on the wall and hurriedly rush away to the delivery counter feeling sheepish.

There is a mini commotion in progress here as everyone needs immediate attention. In the middle of it the gentleman being served asks for an extra Sāmbhar and another clean plate. The counter guy refuses blatantly for the plate but obliges with the Sāmbhar. The customer doesn’t relent and a scene ensues involving of course a heated argument and other frustrated waiting customers. I step in and ask the Customer to relax and manage with what he has as clearly the counter guy does not have any plates to spare. He reluctantly pulls away and as soon as he’s out of the earshot the counter guy says, “I just don’t know where these guys come from!” and gives me a knowing glance. I tell him assertively that his customer handling skills are way below par and he slinks away and doesn’t look up for a long time, at least till I’m gone. Thankfully the food is better than the service and the Idlis are piping hot like the Sāmbhar.

Next I’m aboard Spice Jet where all is well. Even the Airhostesses sound bored with the safety announcements and share some silent joke with each other too obviously as they can barely hide their chuckles and the exchange knowing grins. It’s not funny however when the Airhostesses try to peddle Sandwiches and other edibles to improve the bottom-line of the company. Each sale is almost viewed as a victory. I try out a sandwich and a soda and to support their yeoman service. Not impressive at all, I mean the sandwiches. Their efforts- laudable or laughable- depends on how you view it. They could also do well to keep some change handy though!

Hyderabad airport is shining and spotless as usual. I reach the luggage reclaim area by walking fast and am lucky for once to receive my luggage in one of the earlier lots. I thank the lord silently and begin walking towards the exit when I suddenly hear a man’s voice saying, “The only person on this flight is Sumit K. Lal and he is not on the list”. Whoops! I stop and turn around to look at a man in safari suit speaking on a walkie-talkie. I pull up to my full height walk menacingly towards him and ask him if he just called out my name. He sheepishly explains that he is from the Marriot where I am scheduled to stay and is figuring out the pickup list. I tell him that I had not asked to be picked up and he says that’s what he was explaining to the person at the other end. Talk about coincidences! But he says that he’d help me get a Sky cab. So I allow him to wheel my luggage but keep a wary eye on him. Hyderabad, after all, has its share of scamsters for sure!

Soon I’m in a Sky Cab, which is a new radio taxi service in Hyderabad and apparently is giving Meru a run for its money. I notice all the Cabs are new gleaming Mahindra Logans. The taxi driver’s name is Hafiz Khan and he shares his number with me with a promise to be at the hotel the next morning to drop me off at the airport if I call him. I debate mentally if I could survive another ride in his car especially with the “Chameli” perfumed oil that he’s applied on his head. But apart from this rather too flowery head aching smell, he is a nice person and we discuss the Telangana stir.

At the Marriot entrance the cab is thoroughly checked and we have a gentle Labrador sniffing into the car and its inhabitants searching for explosives. I give him the, “My name is Lal and I’m not even close to being a terrorist!” look. He obliges by pulling back and I’m inside the Marriot to suddenly realize that I have forgotten to bring Cuff Links and all my formal shirts that I’m carrying, require these. I ask the Bell boy about where I would be able to buy some quickly. Luck is on my side and he tells me there is Jewelry shop at the lobby which will stock some of these. He is a courteous feller and offers to get a few of them to the room. I agree and in the next five minutes he is back with 2 of the cufflinks and I do not quite like and tell him that I’ll visit the shop to choose, but he announces that these are the only 2 styles available. He also explains that the cufflinks are hand crafted and are Bidri work (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidriware). I try it on my shirt and it looks pretty awesome so I buy it.

Next I’m off to meet the clients who are promoting the department store and we decide to visit the area Dilsukhnagar or DSN for short. This area is a compilation of numerous middle class colonies and these are present for almost 10 Km in any direction from the mall. The catchment is unquestionable!

On account of a significant percentage of the population of DSN being an up market middle class community having a sizeable dispensable income because of their education and jobs (The Millennial community), their aspirations for shopping in a modern retail ambience such as Shoppers Stop, Pantaloons, Lifestyle and Central remain unsatisfied unless they travel to the main city which may not be a convenient affair for all owing to time limitations and traffic conditions and they have to plan such outings. Looks like Wal-Mart has also realized the potential of this area and is making a foray less than a kilometer from the proposed mall.

There are about 30 cinema halls in the vicinity and a high percentage of young people preparing for competitions etc. DSN on account of being slightly detached from the Hyderabad main city has developed its own retail mix over a period of time; a blend of old fashioned department stores vending Saris and other dress materials and gold for all occasions.

There have been some new retail endeavors by these old established department stores and they have tried to create modern retail concepts. However on account of their experience and success with their previously existing formats which are crowded and overstuffed with merchandise, it has not been easy to break away from their heritage. Hence the Consumer experience in these ‘Modern’ malls hasn’t climbed many notches. Also the merchandising is completely unfiltered, cluttered and all over the place.

One of the stores has pretty ushers in traditional south Indian attires welcoming all the customers with a loud cheerful south Indian greeting, “Wannakum!” Inside I’m accosted by a stampede of colors, schemes, merchandise and I jokingly think to myself that they could well be selling an Elephant in here as well. Sure enough, there are two big ones up ahead- bronze ones!

Moments later I spot a Parrot, a real one albeit caged and it’s with a soothsayer with a mini queue of a few patient persons who await their turn for getting their future foretold. My host asks if I would like to get my future foretold. I mentally conjure up an image of a PETA raid, and the subsequent headlines that would read something like,”Leather Footwear Professional now employs caged Parrots to foretell his future!” I laugh away the proposal and the thought.

We visit the Inorbit mall in Hyderabad enroute to which I see a Reliance Trendz shop in Jubilee Hills. I make a casual remark questioning the presence of a mass offering in such a niche area which sets off an animated discussion till we reach our destination. Anyway we still do not have an answer as to why Reliance would ever do such a thing. The entry and the driveway are so familiar that I’m stumped. Then I realize, the driveway is eerily similar to the one in the Elements Mall in Hong Kong. Talk about coincidences!

We walk into the new Pantaloons and the store which is a joy to look at and navigate. Amazing in your face Visual Merchandizing that doesn’t cramp you at all! The store is comparatively smaller than its usual cousins but extremely well planned and despite a barrage of offerings there is clarity and ample space for people to move. There aren’t too many shop staff to bother you as you examine the merchandize which is pretty exhaustive. I am truly impressed!

Next we end up in a restaurant in the IT area for Dinner which is touted to be the IT hangout in Cyberabad. A little later, we cannot figure out which is the worse of the two, the service or the food?! The waiter has no training/knowledge of the menu. Even worse, apparently the chef doesn’t either. We all vote for the ambience being super horrid and vow to never visit again!

Later in the night, when I’m getting my cufflinks off, one of them breaks. It’s too late to go to the shop downstairs so I just blame my poor choice and go off to sleep writing off my investment.

Next morning I’m back in Hafiz khan’s cab (a late night telephone call to him requesting him to drop me off to the airport worked well). The high point of the morning, however, is that when I was walking out after a hearty breakfast I saw the Jewelry store open bright and early and with a different Sales Clerk. I thought I’d still try my luck. A minute later, I had a replacement cufflink and a genuine apology. I am truly delighted at the prompt attention and customer service that I got.

Chennai airport is not impressive at all. I’m scheduled to stay at the Le Royal Méridien which is a few minutes from the airport. The Hotel had called me when I was in Hyderabad offering a pick up and I had agreed. After 15 minutes of waiting at the usual pick up spot, I call up the Hotel to realize they have forgotten the pickup. Within a few minutes I have the local Méridien rep at the airport next to me who organizes an Innova to get me to the airport.

Ten minutes later, I’m being ushered into an executive Club room at the plush hotel. I’ve been upgraded! This also means that I can have an unlimited quantity of IMFL of my choice between 6.30 PM and 8.30 PM and I could choose to savor 5 snacks along with at no extra cost. Needless to say my Starwood preferred membership would also get the points at the Executive club rate! I mentally thank the guy who forgot to send the pickup car at the airport! God Bless him!!

Nothing more eventful happens and I’m through with my day at Chennai. The Clients come and visit me and insist that I take a look at their Retail shops so I agree and return after a 2 hour ride out of which the last 90 minutes is spent in a major traffic jam attributed to the Metro work. I realize Delhi had handled it a lot better. Things look promising with the local clients who are good guys and I realize that I can add a lot of value to their initiative.

At the Chennai Airport next morning there are never ending queues as usual. Worse this time they are not moving! I see the airline staff happily chitchatting as if they are in a club. It transpires that the computer system is down.

As it is I’m pretty unhappy with the food vendor who does not have small bottles of water as I had to pop in a pill for head ache. Now you can guess who availed the IMFL offer….Ahem! It is so vital to encourage good service. I still need the pill, so I improvise with Frooti which does not turn out to be a great idea as I spill some on my bag. Pathetic packaging I say!

The Computer system takes forever to mend/reboot/whateverthehecktheydotoit and I fumingly think, “Why on earth can these airline staff not announce the exact situation and stop chitchatting and irritating us? How can they look so cheerful while the passengers are sweating it out?”

Anyways eons later after I have checked in I see huge queues towards the security check in. I know however that you can check in from the first floor and sure enough I breeze through. But not fast enough! Chiddy who is with his VIP entourage is ushered into the aircraft and he sports his usual constipated pale and holier than thou expression. No security check for Chiddy! I personally believe all politicians irrespective of the parties they belong to, should be frisked at security like other people.

At the end of the trip I can just think about the varied experiences that I’ve had, that somewhere along the way we have forgotten our priorities.

Politicians and Marketers have become so similar in their approach. They forget why they are in business. Isn’t it about serving the multitude and the consumers?! The Politicians pillowtalk prior to the elections whereas the Marketers do so in their advertisements! Both are happy to just sell, post purchase experience can go take a ride! Then the consumer/multitude is stuck till they are ready to buy a new product or choose again a representative. Then the whole story repeats. The pity is while the Politicians may survive, the erring companies surely do not!

This should be warning bells to even larger companies like LG, Samsung etc. who in their urgency to acquire numbers are creating a key set of really dissatisfied and pissed off consumers. I’m one surely.

LG owes me INR 3250 for a “Bounced Cheque” which is a 50% replacement for the 5 in 1 I’d bought from them and they could not repair when it went rogue. Funnily the cheque they’d issued after long follow ups, bounced and they have also taken away the 5 in 1. Emails and other forms of communication have not worked. I’m seriously contemplating a Consumer Court; however the sum is so paltry and the efforts so high that I resist my feeling each time.

Samsung is a shade ahead; the touch screen for a phone that I bought for around 20k broke due to my fault. I sat down, while it was still in my rear pocket. I took it to a service centre and was happy to note that they had a premium consumer counter where I was rather bluntly informed that my product was not Premium any more as the prices had dropped a few months after I had purchased the product! That was really interesting but it meant that, I had to get in a queue which was about 50 odd people. So I promptly forgot the Samsung and bought myself a new phone from a competing company and traded in the broken one for a pittance which I thought justified the phone and its makers.

That’s the last LG or Samsung will get off me! They are off my purchase list for good now!! Also I am completely in favor the Right to Recall for both Politicians and Brands.

Nicholas Nassim Taleb says that we live in a world of ingratitude! I have to agree.

The name of the game apparently is Vango, Buy/Choose and Just Go! And come back only when we need you!





2 comments: